I made it dairy-free tonight, and I can vouch that it’s delicious! Unsweetened soy milk in place of the dairy milk, and then vegan Parmesan in place of the dairy Parmesan. My brand of pesto was already dairy-free. I was disappointed that I was out of broccoli to use, but I did try out peas and it worked beautifully!
- 1 (16 ounces) package gluten free penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 cup cut up broccoli (asparagus or peas would be good as well)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, or until al dente; drain (I like to rinse my gf pasta with hot water, just so it’s not too sticky).
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken and garlic until chicken is almost cooked.
- In a small bowl, stir together chicken broth, milk & cornstarch. Pour into skillet with chicken & garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pesto and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender. Stir in cooked pasta, toss to coat. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese and serve.